Pages

Saturday 3 May 2014

Dalton Charter 10k And 1 Mile Fun Run

Well, it was a lovely Friday evening last night and perfect weather for the Dalton Charter 10k event! I had booked this one back in January on a whim and to be honest, after Holker last weekend was feeling very nervous about it. Unlike Holker it's a rather undulating course and I definitely wouldn't call myself a good hill runner. My goal for the evening was simply to finish and get back before it got dark!

We walked round to Dalton Cricket Club where the event was being held and I got the boys registered for the 1 mile fun run that was also on that evening. We got their and my numbers fixed to our shirts and headed out to the field to wait for the start.

Myself and the boys before the start
The 10k set off at 7.15pm and I managed to keep up relatively well through Dalton itself. The first hill was hard going but I managed to get to the top eventually by which point there were only a few of us right at the back. From that point I met and teamed up with a lovely lady who'd been out of running for a bit so we helped each other keep going. The hills kept coming but we kept getting up them and finally made it back, both crossing the finish line in 1.17.28! And that, for me, is a new 10k PB!




Meanwhile, after I had set off through Dalton, the boys (accompanied by Andy) went to the start line for the 1 mile fun run. We had figured they would be doing a few laps round the cricket field but nope, off they went out into Dalton in a loop following where the 10k runners had gone. They both managed it really well, holding Andy's hands whilst running on the roads and didn't stop for the whole mile. Both boys received goody bags with t-shirts and sweets (always a good motivator!). I was a bit disappointed I couldn't see them running but our lovely Cheetah spectators took plenty of photos.





So very proud of all of us and had a brilliant evening. The marshals for the event were fantastic and considering my nerves beforehand I was extremely pleased with my result. There was a really great atmosphere and support for both events and I am hoping we'll all be back next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment